Thursday, February 23, 2012

The elevator ride

Addison and I were in the elevator at her school when we had to wait for an entire PreK class to board. Like proper elevator passengers, we scoot to the back - which is also where all the 4 & 5 year olds want to be. I was literally swimming in children. So, there's a boy standing next to me looking at my sweater. He says, "what are those?" pointing to the beads on my sweater.  "Beads", I say. He says, "Seeds?".  "No, wooden beads." I correct.  "Oh." There is a lot of 4 & 5 year old chatter going on and I'm about 3 feet taller than him, so it's hard to have a conversation.  He continues. "What's your name?" he asks.  I struggle a little with this and little kids, because I'm not sure it's setting a proper tone with a strange child to call adults by their first names. You have to establish some authority or something, don't you?  Anyway, I cave and say, "Christie". He looks at me a little crooked. "Steve?" I try to hold back my eye rolling. He's just asking an innocent question, but I'm finding this whole conversation very unnecessary. "No, Christie" I say, hoping this is the end.  "Christeve?" he asks more confounded. Another boy, overhearing our discussion jumps in and says "Her name is Christeve".   "No, Chris-teeee".  "Oh" he says.  Then the elevator door opens on the second floor and the kids pour out. My daughter and I are left alone to float up to one more floor. I'm left confused and maybe a little dumber.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL
Kids are goofy