Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Absence of Time


I've been functioning without a watch or clock in my car for months now. It's a strange experience not having the time immediately within sight for me. I've always been very vigilant about keeping time. I hate being late for appointments and some part of me always had the need to have the time under control as much as possible.


Since not having it, I've had to adapt. Mostly, I've had to give up that control. I haven't felt as anxious going somewhere and making sure that I make it "on the dot" since I can't see the dot. Don't get me wrong, I still try to be on time, but I've had to rely on my inner clock. That absurd inner clock that allows me to know what time it is just by looking at the position of the sun and the haze in the sky. I don't know why. It's a weird quirk I possess. I get it wrong occasionally, but I don't think I've ever been off more than a half an hour.


Anyway, the clock is gone and I feel fine. I still make my appointments...it's okay if I'm a minute late and I actually can pat myself on the back for being close. It's a strange phenomenon. I miss my time sometimes, but for the most part, I'm okay with it. I know my child will make me late nearly everywhere I go, so I guess this is training for that so I don't completely fall apart later.


So, try it. Go without your watch for a week. Cover your car clock. (I don't recommend you turn your alarm off though - bosses aren't on board with this just yet). Just drive around for a day not knowing what time it is ever. It's a freeing experience, I'll tell ya.


Happy travels!

No comments: