Saturday, October 18, 2008

For the Love of Elmo


So, I find ourselves immersed in images of Elmo. We have Elmo on probably at least a dozen of Addison's clothes. We have numerous Elmo dolls, plush, plastic and even one she can take a bath with. The wallpaper on her computer (yes, I said her computer) has the huge fuzzy red guy. We endlessly play videos of Elmo for her on our iPhones.

Why?

The videos keep her occupied and happy. When we took her to Urgent Care a few months ago, she took a 5 minute breathing treatment like a pro...because she could watch Elmo. My child barely says any words, but I think one of her first was "Elmo"...though it sounded more like elbow. Everytime we see him in a store we have to head the other way just so she won't see him and cry for him. She sees him on the big tv and she stops what she's doing so she can watch. She'll point at him and say his name. Does she do this with anything else? Hardly.

Most of all, we bought the clothes because she was kissing him everytime we'd pass an outfit with his bright red image blazing. How can I not buy clothes that she kisses? She won't willingly kiss me...but she will kiss Elmo, no questions asked.

That is why Elmo lines my living room walls and Addison's closet. She loves him. Truly loves him. How could I not indulge her? She kisses him, for crying out loud. He has her wrapped around his fuzzy finger. Elmo is her God. Who am I to deny that? For now, Elmo will be everywhere as long as she breaks out in grins and giggles whenever she sees him. It's the most delightful thing.

No comments: