Friday, April 29, 2011

The Hash Brown

Occasionally, as a special treat, I will go through McDonald’s to get a hash brown for Addison before school. At first, she thought she didn’t like them. When she asked me what it was I told her it was like chopped up French fries smooshed together and it was love from then on. It takes her about the whole ride to school to eat it and it starts the day off nice. A week or so ago, we made the trip. After eating about 9/10ths of the hash brown she decided that she really wanted to share it with her teacher, Ms. Beth. So for several miles she saved all of about a pinch of her hash brown. I tried to convince her that I was certain that Ms. Beth would appreciate the thought, but that she would totally understand if Addison ate that last little bit. But no, she wanted to share. I even told her that Ms. Beth would probably prefer her own hash brown and that perhaps she didn’t want to share. Finally, just as we’re creeping up the last curve in the road before school, that little pinch disappeared. Addison gave in and ate what was left. She quickly forgot about her desire to share. That is, until she remembered this week. Several days we passed by McDonald’s and Addison insisted that we should take her teacher a hash brown. Finally, we settled on asking Ms. Beth if she even liked hash browns and could we bring her one. I wasn’t sure what the rules were for teachers eating food their students brought. So yesterday Addison finally remembered to ask Ms. Beth if she liked hash browns. To her delight, the teacher said she did. We were on a mission today to get one. Of course the line at McDonald’s was the longest I’ve seen in a long time, but the glee from my daughter was worth the wait. We ordered 2 hash browns. One to eat and one to share. By the time we got to school, Addison had devoured hers. Just as we were getting out of the car, I gave her the extra hash brown for Ms. Beth. She carefully carried it into the building and we made a beeline for her classroom. She took it right over to Ms. Beth who seemed genuinely surprised and gave Addison a hug. (Where was my hug? I’m the one who forked out the money! Lol!) That made Addison’s day. Another good start to the morning. Thanks McDonald’s.

And yes, America…I give my daughter the greasy hash brown that can turn a paper bag clear with the grease that drips off of it. That’s my right and I take responsibility for it. She loves it, and I’m smart enough to know not to give her a dozen of them for breakfast. Nor do I take her to McDonald’s for every meal…but if I did, my right and my responsibility. Get off yer damn high horse and quit telling me what’s best for my kid. Another discussion for another day.
Look at all that bubbly goodness:

No comments: