Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Too OLD


It drives me nuts when people use age as an excuse to not know something or try something. I hear it so many times – especially at work. This is particularly disconcerting because you have to know stuff to be able to do your job. Mostly I hear this excuse in relation to technology. It’s lame. It’s lame that you haven’t taken the time to learn how to use the computer when you have to use it nearly every day. If you don’t know how to use the computer – take a class! I did! I wasn’t born knowing technology. In fact, I’d say growing up I was rather sheltered from technology. I mean, it was the 80’s mostly and there wasn’t a whole lot of stuff that we have today like cell phones and computers and such. I do remember our Commodore 64, but what the hell does that do?! I took typing in high school just like everyone else. I learned on a typewriter. And I wasn’t very good either. We did have computers, but we had a computer lab with like, 10 computers – MAX. It wasn’t even something that we spent a whole lot of time on. It wasn’t really until the mid-90’s that everything seemed to boom. Everyone seemed to either have a beeper or cell phone (if you had money) and computers were starting to pop up in everyone’s homes. The internet was starting to really establish itself for general public use. I didn’t “grow up” with these things. I learned to use them the same time everyone else did. I learned, first by trial and error, then took some classes in college. Despite already knowing a lot about Microsoft programs, I learned a lot in these classes. So, just because you’re 90 doesn’t mean you can’t learn too. They have free classes at the library! They even have them as basic as learning how to use a mouse. Get out there and learn what you should already know.

I wonder sometimes if people see me as unwilling to help simply because I’d rather teach you how to do it yourself so you can be self-sufficient…but I guess that’s how I’d like to be treated. Some people just want things done for them. Granted, there are times when I just want something done and don’t want a learning moment, but for the most part, if it’s something I might be doing often, I’d rather learn how to do it myself than to continually ask someone else to do it for me. I think I’m pretty good at recognizing those moments and don’t push lessons on people and would appreciate the same. Maybe I’m in the wrong line of work then. I mean I guess the Assistant is supposed to “assist”, but I feel like there are things people need to learn to do on their own.

I’ve become known around work as the “techie”. I do have a lot of gadgets, so I guess I know a lot. I learn by doing, so when I get a gadget I play. That’s how I learn. I don’t think I have a pre-disposition to know ing technology, I think it’s just that I know enough to not make it explode. I can fix phones, computers, printers, fax machines, copiers, shredders, projectors – you name it. At least that’s what people think. What they don’t know is that I don’t know anything either and I’m usually not doing anything that they couldn’t figure out themselves. Maybe I just have more patience.

I can’t think of anything that a person would be “too old” to do. I have reached that milestone where it’s no longer socially acceptable to wear a mini-skirt, so perhaps I am too old for that…but really it’s a personal choice and I think it’s because people’s knees start looking funny after 35 and nobody wants to see funny knees. Perhaps I’m too old to start taking drugs, but I think that’s because it would interfere with my heartburn, cholesterol, thyroid, high blood pressure and diabetes medications. I mean, nobody wants to suffer through heartburn. Again, personal choice. I watched a show a few weeks ago about people over 90 and all the awesome things they are accomplishing. One guy was a multi-medal winner in the Senior Olympics. He even does pole vaulting. I’ve NEVER been able to do pole vaulting. The long jump - I’m just scared my knees would end up coming out the top of my head from the impact. I’m convinced my bones will turn to dust if I jar them too much. Music is another thing. Is there an unspoken rule that once you turn a certain age you can only like or listen to certain kinds of music? Is there an age limit – so once I turn 36 I can’t like music from anyone younger than me? Yikes. That sounds terribly boring and I’d miss a lot of good stuff.

All that being said, age should never be used as an excuse to NOT do something – so get out and DO something! You CAN teach an old dog new tricks. (Disclaimer: I would not recommend pole vaulting unless you have consulted with a doctor first. I will also not be held responsible for any injuries you may sustain while trying something new. You are old – not my fault.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOVE THIS!!! I've always felt the same way - if you don't know, LEARN! When you stop learning, you might just as well stop living! I learn something 'new' just about every day and I hope I never become TOO OLD to learn from others and my environment. I feel about this like I do about the "NOT MY JOB" people.... Don't even get me started!