Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Costa Rica - Day 5

Today we awoke to the sounds of howler monkeys practically right outside our room. They are quite loud and ominous sounding. 5 am is when they get up in case you were wondering. They really should institute daylight savings time here. The sun comes up around 5 and sets around 6, so while you try to adjust to the time difference, you really can't because the sun is telling you otherwise. The geckos in our room making their silly kissy sounds are the sounds you hear before bed and when you awaken. This sounds like it would be a comforting noise - being kissed at, but if they are loud enough to hear then they are somewhere close. Like in your room, and I didn't find that very comforting.
Anyway our morning started with delicious French toast and fresh fruit...to be revisited later. We were leaving mid-morning for a boat tour near Manuel Antonio park. There was a lovely lady waiting for us when we arrived. She offered everyone motion-sickness pills (maybe that's why I call her lovely) and on a precautionary move accepted her offer. I thought "oh, I shouldn't need it, but just in case...cause it would suck to be sick on a boat". Our hosts greeted us cheerfully and immediately offered us drinks. Ah, another good idea. Perhaps if I load up on alcoholic beverages, I certainly won't get sick. I start off with a PiƱa Colada. I didn't get much further than that. I declined the next round and wondered if I was actually feeling queezy or if my mind was trying to psych me into thinking I might be sick. I'd soon find out because as everyone went to one side of the boat to watch mating turtles, I ran to the other side and rid my stomach of the yummy breakfast I had. Oh joy. To top it off, I think the driver was laughing at me. I don't speak a lick of Spanish, but even I could tell he was chuckling and telling the other guys. Mr. Drink-maker immediately came over and offered some Ginger ale and the other guy instructed me that if I laid down I wouldn't feel so bad. After I did, he gently rubbed a cold washcloth over my forehead. Such a simple gesture and yet it was such a comfort. Poor little Addison said her belly hurt too, though I couldn't really tell if she was having sympathy symptoms. She laid next to me with her head on my arm and she fell asleep while I dosed in and out of consciousness. We missed a lot of the boat tour, but honestly I didn't care by that point. We woke up when they anchored the boat for swimming and snorkeling. Everyone got in the salty water. Surprisingly bouyant! I mean it takes very little effort to stay afloat.
I felt better, but certainly not well enough for the fish and shrimp they prepared. I could hardly handle the smell.
After everyone finished eating, the boat guys wanted to try to sail. I've never been so glad for no wind. Since the sail couldn't catch any wind we boated back to the dock.
Thank God for dry land. We came back to the house and I tried to nap off the effects of the Dramamine, but woke up fuzzy and still with my sea legs, so everything STILL is in motion. I'm afraid I'll have boat rocking nightmares tonight.
It's our last night in the house. We head for San Jose in the morning.





















-- Post From My iPhone

No comments: