Monday, September 8, 2014

A piece I did for Yellow Springs Art Council

4'X4' panel, Acrylic
This is possibly one of the first "Call for Artists" I have answered and by far the most out of the box for me. I have been focusing on little art for awhile and big pieces are a little intimidating. I did the fence mural for Erma's House a few years ago, so I knew I could do it, but not something I seek out. I'm not even sure why this one stuck out to me, but I answered it. Yellow Springs Art Council was looking for artists to design and paint 4'X4' panels to hang on a fence to hide some construction that was going on while building a new hotel in downtown Yellow Springs. This is a very artsy community and they didn't want the piles of dirt and the dirt movers to stick out like a sore thumb, so they covered the surrounding area with art. I did this entire painting in just a few weeks and super coated it with varnish, so I think it may live in perpetuity...at least that's my hope. It really just needed to last until construction is complete...but I don't have anywhere in my house where this huge monster can go, so I'm hoping (if it's not hanging on anyone else's fence once the project is over) it will hang on my fence...or my Florida room...or somewhere. I'm happy with the way this turned out.
 

No comments: