Monday, July 26, 2010

3 restaurant reviews all at once.

I’m so behind on restaurant reviews! I need to catch up.




So, a few weeks ago my mom and I went to Oregon Express. There was a band playing downstairs and it was quite loud, so we decided to go upstairs to the patio because it was much quieter. Normally, on a cooler day I imagine the patio wouldn’t be so bad, but it was warm and it had been raining all day, so the bugs were out in full force. It took quite a while for the waitress to come and acknowledge us and give us menus and all that jazz. It seems they are more used to the seasoned customer who knows where to get things, not newbies like us. We finally got to order and we went with the pepperoni pizza since they claim to have the best pizza in Dayton. Drinks were not filled as often as I would have liked. I can’t even remember if I got a refill at all…granted it’s been about 4 weeks. I just remember very slow service.



The pizza was good. I’m not sure it’s the best in Dayton, but it was good and I would gladly eat it again. It IS pizza afterall. How bad could it be, really? Oregon Express isn’t a place I’d crave to go – though I might crave the pizza and would be likely to get it to-go, but it’s not a place I’d choose to go to sit down and eat. I’d rather get the pizza and sit somewhere else to eat it. I’d go again, but as my mom says “only if someone suggested it first”.



Blind Bob’s. Oh, Blind Bob’s. I’m so confused by your door! When approaching Blind Bob’s there are two doors. Which one to pick? Which one? Oh, I’ll pick the WRONG one. Luckily (or not) our future waitress was right behind us as I picked the wrong door and directed us to the right one. Seriously. Is this a test? I get it. Blindly try doors until you find one that opens. It was pretty empty so we had our choice of tables. It’s a seat yourself kind of joint. So we picked close to the door so we could find it again.  No, really it was close to a big window and I preferred that to the dark bar-ish feel of the rest of the place. They had a pretty big stage, so I imagine it gets loud in there too with a live band.



We ordered the fried pickles to share and the ¼ pound burger. The pickles were soooo yummy. I had a taste for them for weeks afterward. Not as good as the ones you get at The Pub, but it is a very close second. The burger was not much. I mean, literally it was small compared to the giant bun they put it on. I was definitely eating more bread than burger. It might have been a 1:4 ratio of meat to bread. I’d try something else before I got that again. They did however have tasty looking “stuffed” burgers on the menu that I might try if I had a little extra time (they required more cooking time). Anyway, we both got the homemade chips on the side and a special dip – which was a sour cream and onion kind of dip. YUMMO! Just give me a plate of that and the pickles and roll me out ‘cause that’s all I needed. This is a menu that needs further exploration for sure…if not just to get the pickles again.



Last week we went to Franco’s. This is an Italian restaurant just across from the library and across the street from the Oregon District, but I think it’s still considered O.D. I occasion Franco’s. Like, I think I’ve been there 4 times in my life so I think that speaks of my opinion of it. I forget that I’m never blown away by it. I had the pizza (surprise, surprise) and my mom had spaghetti. We shared garlic bread. Nothing was spectacular. The spaghetti was just spaghetti, the garlic bread was just garlic bread and my pizza – while good and probably had more flavor than the spaghetti – wasn’t amazing. I remember now why Franco’s isn’t my first place to go. We did arrive late, but the check took way too long to get back and nearly made us late to the movie even after we asked for it. The staff was very prompt at taking our plates away though, which I appreciated. Nothing like a plate of uneaten food staring you in the face and tempting you to eat more. In my opinion, Franco’s is way overpriced for what you get.

It'll be a few weeks before the next installment of restaurant reviews because we won't be going to the movies for a few weeks...so until next time...(I'm not going to say bon appetit 'cause that'd be cheezy).

No comments: