Monday, July 12, 2010

Restaurant Review - Boulevard Haus, Oregon District

My mother and I decided that we were going to eat “around the Oregon District” this summer before our weekly movie night. We’ve also decided to not go to every Victoria Theatre movie this summer because some just really didn’t interest us at all, so we won’t be going out to eat each week…so this is a some-Fridays restaurant review.



The first place we ate was Boulevard Haus. This restaurant was formerly the Café Boulevard, which was a French restaurant. I had been there and the décor has not changed a great deal from the original place except I think the patio may have been expanded, German decorations and there is a little bit of a clearer view of the kitchen which I always appreciate. I think I like a view of the kitchen because it shows they really have nothing to hide…with the exception of Submarine House on Brown St…I’d rather I didn’t see that mess. Anyway, the menu has changed from French to German. You will find things like brats, sauerkraut, wienerschnitzel and cabbage rolls. And burgers. YES, burgers. They advertise traditional and contemporary German food, which I interpret to mean American Fare with a German influence. I thought a lot of things probably wouldn’t be found in a traditional German restaurant (which was fine with me), and they’ve even carried over a popular French dish from Café Boulevard onto their menu. Galettes – which they claim is made with a French/German buckwheat pancake. French/German? Oh, kay.  Must have been harvested right at the border.

Mom ordered sauerkraut balls for an appetizer and I will admit they weren’t bad. Quite rich, but not bad. Then she ordered some kind of bratwurst something or other. Basically grilled brats with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. Just what you’d expect (from a German place, not from my mother).

I decided to go in a completely different direction and ordered the Pretzel Burger. Not to be confused with the very American Americano Burger which was probably pretty traditionally a typical American Burger. The Pretzel Burger on the other hand had crispy German onions, sweet German mustard mayo and served on a German pretzel bun. Delish. Of course, complimented by very tasty German Pommes Frites.

This is definitely a place I’d go back to. Perhaps explore more on the menu – although that burger was very good.  :)  The staff was very friendly, it's relatively quiet (inside anyway), and I never felt rushed.  Rating: A+.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, Sub House on Brown! Some kitchens aren't meant to be seen, but I still like that place a lot.

I suppose brats, taters, & kraut are a must at ANY place that calls itself German. I hope your mom enjoyed her dish.

I'm intrigued by the pretzel burger. Never heard of such a thing, but your description makes it sound tasty.

Aside: There are certainly some WWII jokes to be made about French menu items surviving the occupation of German fare in this restaurant.

Finally, "a place I'd go back to", in reference to quality, means a lot to folks who don't get out much in the first place.

Thanks for a truly useful review.