Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Idol Top 11


So, I downloaded the iPhone app last week for American Idol. I can read everything I never wanted to. They also have confessionals each week (though yesterday it was still at week 1 - not sure I can wait a whole week for updates)...am I obsessed? Anyway, when you see the contestants speaking candidly about their experience I think it really makes or breaks them for me. Now, one person I wasn't crazy about was Adam Lambert, but after watching his confessional, he's growing on me. On the other hand, Allison is still wearing on my nerves.

1. Michael Sarver - "Ain't Goin' Down til the Sun Comes Up". Oh, Michael. That was atrocious. What can I say about it other than it was awful! He coulda picked any song he wanted...country is his genre, but I thought it was just terrible. I know it's a difficult song because it's so fast paced, but you could practically hear him gasping for air. He might be going home.

2. Allison Iraheta - "Blame it on Your Heart" - She may have a mature voice, but she's not. Sure, she's different and I like her voice, but her personality is like nails on a chalkboard. To add to her immaturity, those braces...I would think if you're going on a weekly televised competition, you might have those taken off for awhile. She looks like a little kid even if she doesn't sound like one when she sings. I still think her mom looks like Martha Stewart. I'm not sure precocious is good.

3. Kris Allen - "To Make You Feel My Love" - Garth Brooks is getting a run tonight. I'm not sure that it should really count if a country icon sang the song. This was not a Garth Brooks song. He just sang it and Kris wasn't even singing the same version, so isn't it really a Bob Dylan song and was Bob Dylan even a member of the Grand Ole Opry? Hm. He's probably still safe since he sounded good, but who doesn't sound good singing this song (except maybe Bob Dylan - obviously I'm not a huge Bob Dylan fan, but he was robbed for credit here).

4. Lil Rounds - "Independence Day" - Seriously, the only country music she's heard was from movies? Not sure I appreciate such a closed-minded musician. I like an artist who can appreciate and knows music from all genres. I don't like that they twanged up the song for her...not necessary and seems fake. The beginning was shaky and I think she only picked the song for it's strong chorus. But not the best choice. The judges were right that she could have picked any other song and been stronger. She could have. She certainly came across as uncomfortable and forced.

5. Adam Lambert - "Ring of Fire" - Um, Randy Travis quite obviously didn't like him. At ALL! Whew. That was akward. So, this was certainly Adam...but I might have nightmares. His Elvis persona came out in this song. Being different. It was funny how melodic some of it sounded, but then went right into creeeepy...but strangely I liked it. I didn't see Randy Travis' wife clapping and I thought that was kind of rude. It was still a good performance, odd as it was. I hope Johnny Cash would have been able to appreciate it for what it was. I dunno, the country followers can be quite closed. It's scary.

6. Scott MacIntyre - "Wild Angels" - I agree it was a weird song choice. I had a hard time hearing him at certain points, I think it was too low, but it certainly picked up. Not bad. He hasn't really blown me away yet though. Well, except for that whole playing piano and singing together thing. I'm impressed by that.

Oh, Paula...you are really getting too old to be wearing tops that low cut. You do not have an attractive chest...it's yucky. Put a sweater on and cover that stuff.

7. Alexis Grace - "Jolene" - who the hell thinks she looks like Dolly Parton? So, not. Brooke White sang this last year and I think I remember the judges hating it. This is a much better version. Good job Alexis! I don't think this is an easy song to sing...but she did an amazing job. Does Simon have some kind of attention deficit or something? Man, he's squirrely. Alexis seemed very annoyed by the judges criticism. I don't like when they talk back. Still.

8. Danny Gokey - "Jesus Take the Wheel" - Poor Danny, gettin all nervous with Randy T. It's cute he got all star struck. Interesting song choice, but he's good. I think he did very well. Even with the standard "pitch problems" he sounds amazing. Reminds me so much of David Cook last year. Just raw, natural talent. I love him, and I don't usually like male singers much, but I'd buy his albums. This might even deserve the actual CD so I can drool over the pictures in the insert! :)

9. Anoop Desai - "You're Always on my Mind" - Not bad Anoop...not bad. I think he'll be sticking around for awhile. I hope anyway. I like to hear him sing.

10. Megan Joy - "I Go Walking After Midnight" - Perfect song choice for her style, I think. She looked gorgeous too. Wonder what makes the contestants change their names. I mean, she goes from Megan Corkrey to Megan Joy Corkrey to Megan Joy. There were some really sharp notes, but considering she's sick, she did well. Still like her.

11. Matt Giraud - "So Small" - Interesting that the guys are picking all these chick songs. I'm a little annoyed that Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride and Garth Brooks are the top picks for the evening when there are so many amazing country artists and country songs. Maybe the pool of songs was small, but overall I'm disappointed with the evening. Disappointed with this song too. I really didn't care for this performance. I think it could potentially send him home, but I thought that last week too. I'm ready to see him go.

Michael Sarver or Matt Giraud - GO HOME!

Props to Megan, Adam and Anoop for being a little different.

Til tomorrow....

1 comment:

Melissa said...

i love the comment about Paula and her chest... "put a sweater on"... priceless!