Saturday, March 7, 2009

Giggles for Quarters


A week ago, we went to Sam's Club. This is usually a trial because Addison is starting to really not like shopping trips to the store. Well, maybe it's more me. I'm sure she'd love to take over the store and run around and play with all the cool things on her level. I mean, why'd they put them there if they weren't to be played with, right? My concern is that people don't know to get out of her way. They don't know to expect a 2 foot tall human to come darting out of every aisle. They don't understand her irratic pattern of darting either. It's no fun to run in a straight line. Crooked is really the way to go. Adults seem to be irritated by this. They don't want to have to play a defensive lineman with their carts against a small child. Adults are not always up for games with children...especially in the grocery store. Anyway, getting back to Sam's. Because the items are generally huge and numerous, it takes awhile to get through the line which seems to be the most boring part of the trip. I try to entertain Addison, but again, she'd rather be running around people. This particular trip I noticed one of those coin things near the exit. It's the kind where you put a coin in and it travels around and around in loops down a drain of sorts. "Aha!" I thought. Addison might like that. I dig around in my wallet to find a quarter. Why a quarter? Couldn't I have picked a penny or a nickel? Seemed like cheaper entertainment, but for some reason I thought a quarter would be more fun to see circle the drain. That's where the rest of my money goes anyway, so why be stingy now? This time I have the satifaction of seeing it go down the drain. So...I give the quarter to Addison who neatly puts it in the plastic holder. I tell her to let go and she does. The quarter does as it should and circles around and around and around and around. Great big wide circles at the top and as it gets nearer the bottom it spins faster and faster making a cool kind of metal to plastic sound. You would have thought I'd tripped a clown she was laughing so hard! She found this incredibly amusing which brought tears to my eyes (darn motherhood hormones). Obviously I had to get another quarter out and try again. Same drill. Same result. Giggles galore. Pretty amazing contraption if I do say so myself. Those quarters twirled around for a long time! So, for 2 quarters I get 2 hysterical laughs from a child. I'd pay a million dollars to hear those giggles all day. Fifty cents is a bargain! P.S. You're welcome Children's Miracle Network for my donation. I'm sure we'll be seeing you again.

No comments: