Tuesday, March 3, 2009

American Idol WEEK 3



First, let me tell you that I’m annoyed with the iTunes thing. You can buy the performances online. What they don’t tell you is that it’s the exact performance from stage. Last year, once they got to the top performers they started selling the songs on iTunes. I could appreciate it because it was generally the full version of the song and done in a studio. For that, I would pay 99 cents. This is a rip-off that they are charging the same for these short version, non-studio, non-seasoned singers versions of songs that already exist that you would pay for a full-length professional version from the original artist. Pass on these…they’re not that good yet. Boo to iTunes. I’m betting the performers aren’t getting royalties from any of the songs they sell.

1. Von Smith – I think he tries too hard. He’s good when he gets going, but he’s hard for me to watch. He just works too hard. Or rather, his face works really hard. It’s exhausting. This was not a good performance to me. I’m not even sure I even know this song. He always looks like he’s ready to start bawling too and that’s just going to annoy me. Nah. Pass. And I absolutely HATE when they act out their numbers. PLEASE stop doing that!
2. Taylor Vaifanua – Another high schooler…but she doesn’t look or act like one, so I can probably look past that. Her performance was good but not mind blowing. I don’t think she’ll make it. Is it possible that Paula actually made sense tonight? She was totally right! Wow. Taylor really needed to show how she could be different and that song was not “it”.
3. Alex Wagner-Trugman – He’s funny. Taking on an Elton John song is bold, but he did…just okay. I’m not sure he’s good enough to do that. He could be good too, but this was like an act for me. The entire performance he was trying to be something he’s not. And, um…he looks just like his dad…only younger. He’s goofy and akward enough to make it through (maybe).
4. Arianna Afsar – What’d they save all the teenagers for this show? Again, though, she doesn’t act like a teenager, so she’s okay. She’s cute and possibly good enough to make it through, but the song was incredibly akward and seemed like she sang it a little faster than the music, but once she gets over the nervousness, she’s good. I kind of hope she makes it through.
5. Ju’not Joyner – first of all, was he wearing handcuffs on his pants? I don’t get it. So, he’s a good singer, but I’m thinking the judges are going to think he sang it too slow. In a minute and a half, you really need to pick a song that can showcase your voice and when you’re singing it that slow I’m not sure there’s enough notes to do that. He pulled it off though. I shuddered when I heard he picked that song. Was a little shocked actually, but he did a great job. I can see him going through and lasting awhile.
6. Kristen McNamara – I love Tracy Chapman! Not sure can pull it off. She’s not soulful enough. I can tell she’s a karaoke host (?), is that what she said? Anyway, all I could picture was her standing on a tiny stage in a bar singing to a screen with words on it. She did okay, but I could pass on her.
7. Nathaniel Marshall – ugh. I don’t like drama. I especially don’t like people who are overly dramatic. Who told him the headband thing was any kind of look? Stop it. Just stop it. What was he thinking singing Meatloaf. No no no no no no. Please. No. Go away. I don’t need to say anymore. No chance he’ll make it through. Bleh. He was not good. They are all lying.
8. Felicia Barton – This chick was l.u.c.k.y. to get called back. She totally reminds me of Natasha Bedingfield. She’s very good. Had some tough spots, but she did very well overall I think. Might be my favorite of the evening.
9. Scott MacIntyre – Mandolin Rain. Good song. He’s good, but I’m not sure the best of the evening. He has a very good chance of making it through though. I think he could be an American favorite just because he’s such a good guy. I would very much like to see him play and sing with his piano. How cute is he?
10. Kendall Beard – peppy, blonde Texan. Don’t we have enough blonde country singers? Anyway, not the worst. Not the best, but she did pretty well. She’s at the top of the list of people to potentially make it through even though she had some note problems. It was very much like the original version and I think just about anyone can sing that song, not terribly special, but it was good.
11. Jorge Nunez – He was good. That’s all.
12. Lil Rounds – She is a great singer, but I’m not convinced that she appealed to the masses. It was a good performance. I’m not sure that R&B listeners are watching this show and won’t be voting, but I could be surprised.

My predictions: Scott MacIntyre, Felicia Barton and Ju’not Joyner (or maybe Jorge or Lil).

No comments: